Friday, May 22, 2009

Summer Daze



I loved this summer song growing up:
Oh, what do you do in the summertime, when all the world is green?
Do you swim in a pool, to keep yourself cool,
or swing in a tree up high?
Is that what you do? So do I!

Oh, what do you do in the summertime, when all the world is green?
Do you march in parades, or drink lemonades,
or count all the stars in the sky?
Is that what you do? So do I!



I don't know about the equinox and solstice, but for the Buttcho's, Memorial Day is the beginning of summer, a season with two requirements: 1. the pool is open, 2. school is closed.
From grad

As a child, summer meant freedom from the days stuck at a desk in school, from early bedtimes and even earlier mornings, and from smelly stale lunches in the cafeteria. It meant playing Charlie's Angels on our bikes with our walkie talkies (I was Kelly) in the big dirt field all day long. It meant trips to Lake Powell, and a week by myself at grandma's house.

Summer remains my favorite season, I don't even resent the bugs and humidity, they are a necessary evil in my green world with lazy sweltering days. Is there a taste that screams summer more than crisp cold green grapes munched on by the pool on a dreamy steamy day? Is there a place more hopeful than a backyard at dusk full of children chasing fireflies, grabbing for them just as they go dark? Is there a sound more heavenly than the jingle of the ice cream truck when your clothes are doused with sweat and the heat is threatening to break you? Is there a smell more scrumptious than the perfectly blended mix of toddler skin, sunscreen and chlorine from a pool?
From grad

Every Memorial Day weekend, I have the kids make a list of the things they want to do in the summer. The list has a very small affect on our actual plans, but a bigger affect on their ability to dream and to sense the season of summer upon them.

Kennedy wants to sleep in (Ellie asked what "a sleep in" is)

Steve wants to go to the pool every day

Wally wants to ride bikes

Ellie is too busy with her social calendar to come up with a list

I want to enjoy the simplicities of summer by going on a serious screen and shopping diet. How long can we live without TV or Facebook?!?!?

Randy wants to hike on the top of a big mountain

So, what do you do in the summer time?

6 comments:

likeschocolate said...

Summer is the best! Hey, I know you lived in California some as a child. Do you remember the ice cream cones from Thrifty Drug Store that were on cake cone but the scoop was a cylinder shape. I loved there Mint Chocolate Chip and the Rainbow Sherbert. I also played Charlie's Angels and had the dolls too. Didn't see you at Church today to you go somewhere for the weekend or did you allready pack up for the summer and head west?

Nikki said...

We are feeling summer needs to be here too despite 3 more weeks of school for the kids! Beautiful posts on your blog. I can't wait to see you all this summer out here! There truly is no better time than our carefree summers. We do the list thing too over summer..and all of our school breaks. The lists are always pretty fun to read and try to do!

Randy B. said...

Here's hoping I get my mountain!

Bored in Vernal said...

I wanna do an Atlanta trip!

Mel-o-drama said...

K - I was too little, but I remember even the grocery stores had an ice cream counter growing up!

N - you are so on my list

BiV - me too!!

Steve got his summer buzz cut today, AND went to the pool. His list is now at 100% (if only everything were that easy)

also known as shell said...

Summer is the best!!!
I want to

go to the beach for a weekend
go to the pool a whole lot
try to figure out how to put flag bunting up on my widows walk.

and make yummy food and have a big bbq for friends.