Thursday, February 14, 2008

a blog is born - jump in with me!



You could call it my 6th child, say its time is overdue, and most correctly recognize that even its coming-to-be is representative of me: lots of thought, lots of time, lots of fret, a GRAND idea with NO finished results.

I have been dabbling around a bit trying to come up with THE perfect blog - from colors to the best first post to a great name. And finally, after 6 months, several training sessions from patient friends, a name from Randy (why are his jokes so telling???), and a not-so-gentle nudge from my mom (I think she called it NAGGING PERSUADING and CHALLENGING me to do it), I am "jumping in".

I have officially started a blog.

And, just like a child, the blog seems to point out my weaknesses even as I am still caught up in the newness and wonder of it all and the pride for actually bringing it about. I have grand plans for this blog, major renovation, frequent posts, exploring my creativity, etc, etc.

But blogging highlights how little I know about linking or labeling or HTML-ing (or even blogging for that matter). It publicly screams to the world that I don't upload my pictures from camera to computer with any organization or regularity. It fusses about whether I actually have anything to say. And it beckons me to do better.

Hopefully it will quiet the nagging voice in my head (not my mom this time), maybe because it provides an outlet for three great loves of my life: photography, writing and nostalgia, maybe because it takes the "I'm never caught up" scrapbooking pressure off of me, maybe because it connects me to those I love, maybe because it makes me feel more like my "cool" friends.

Marmet said "We respond to a drama to that extent to which it corresponds to our dreamlife." I spend much time living the life I dream and dreaming the life I (want to) live, so grab some chocolate and a Diet Coke and jump in with me!

5 comments:

Jan said...

This is the Mel I know and love - everything is perfect - name, colors, picture, content!! Can't wait to read more and more.

Nana said...

We really didn't want a philosophy lecture, just pictures of the grandkids, please!!!
Dad

claire said...

I love it- you are so right on with the way that a blog can reveal what we perceive our weaknesses to be- but in reality, no one else probably cares if we don't have (fill in the blank) or still do (some outdated thing).

The name is perfect. Looking forward to more!

Randy B. said...

Wow. Never thought that this would actually see the light of day. Congrats!

Best wishes that (unlike the kids in the pictures) everyone will "jump in" (why are only half the kids jumping?) and leave their pants on (why are Wally's pants off, by the way?).

rjb

Adventurous Housewife said...

I'm so glad to read and connect more with you and your family. Thanks for entering the blog world.