Monday, February 18, 2008

My cup runneth over





I am officially the mom of a boy. You may wonder how, after 4 years, it is only now official. Because now my son is the proud owner of a cup. Not the kind you drink out of or the kind you win when you have achieved something great. No, this is the kind that boys wear with a strap when playing particular sports, his being karate - the kind brothers leave out in hopes of making their sisters gag, the kind that requires some explanation to a 4-year-old before use, and of course, I was the sole parent at the karate studio who "got" to offer it.

For some background, Stevie has a fascination with his parts that is foreign to me. When he was first formally introduced with the proper name during potty training, I think I heard the word 87 times per day - usually in public when he would ask the unsuspecting clerk at the store where her "part" was (much to my blushing face, he didn't use the word "part") or when he would declare the gender of people (including close family members) he saw using the restroom in public.

So, that beautiful Saturday, as he saw the cup included with his new gear, his first reactions was, "will my "part" fit in there?" Well, I don't know how well-endowed he had grand illusions of being, but clearly yes, it would fit. But, oh, the joy when he found out he had two other parts in dire need of protection during a karate fight. Only, this time, I got to choose the word rather than his dad, and so, I am the proud mother of a boy who is the proud owner of his "boys".

4 comments:

claire said...

I'll have to watch out around your family now that I know some of them use the restroom in public.....

I'm cracking up over this and the fact that the word verification I'm supposed to copy says "eeookgook"

Mel-o-drama said...

the verification is too much - sums up my opinion on the entire subject!!

Jan said...

Oh my, and I thought we were going to start karate this spring. I really don't think I can go there yet. :-)

Adventurous Housewife said...

Stevie has given me a good laugh. Thanks for the story.