Sunday, November 2, 2008

Matchless Masquerade

When he insisted he was going to be a pirate for Halloween, my heart sank.

I live for Halloween. I go to great lengths to create costumes. I was on a quest to beat Elvis, Einstein, Marilyn and Jackie from last year.
From halloween

And we were pirates two years ago.

I tried to get everyone on-board for a "resurrection Halloween" where we all recreate our cutest costumes (Anne Geddes flower in a pot? fairy with lights sewn into your dress? anyone? anyone?) but to no avail.

Finally, I came to the realization (after an intervention from my sister and husband) that Halloween, as much as I love it, is not fun if your mom picks your costume (maybe it was a little overreaching of my authority). So, I caved, and no one matched or won a contest, and, to my surprise, it was still fun.

The boys were Pirates of the Caribbean - Captain Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones (for those of you like me who thought Davy Jones was a member of the Partridge Family, no this is the guy with octopus-ish snaky stuff all over his face and body).
From halloween
From halloween

The girls gave up their original idea to be a "Cousin Sandwich" after we saw Wicked. So they were Elfaba and Glinda (and their cousins were Glinda and Nessa). I have to admit, the recreation of the wicked whisper was pretty fun.
From halloween
From halloween

From halloween

And getting Randy to don a wig and stuff himself ala Homer Simpson, was, priceless.
From halloween

When the kids were crying because their candy bags were too heavy to haul up to one more door, we pulled the plug on trick or treating, headed home for witches brew (aka Frito Pie in the South) and the opening bell of the Annual Candy Trade (wallstreet has nothing on these shrewd cousins who take their loot very seriously).
From halloween

From halloween

Wally could not have cared less about the trading, he just sat and quietly ripped into his candy, probably eating his weight in it based on the tell-tale wrappers scattered beside him.
From halloween

3 comments:

likeschocolate said...

Really your costumes were priceless!!! Oh, and BTW if you ever have a situation where you even thing you have to take 4 children to Urgent Care I will kick you in the butt if you do not call me to help. I would have taken your children and picked them up from practice. I am not kidding. I always love to help.

claire said...

I am laughing so hard at Randy as Homer. Doh!!!!!

The other kids are fabulous as well.

Adventurous Housewife said...

It looks like you had a blast on Halloween. We miss you guys. Kisses from Utah.