Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Party On

From rally

When I picked Stevie up from preschool yesterday they told me they'd held an election.

Me: "Who'd you vote for?" (cringing and worrying since I'd failed to properly educate (brainwash) him)
Stevie: "I voted for ROCK OBAMA" (it sounds pretty hip when you say it that way

The results:
Obama 2
McCain 7

Ellie's class was pretty similar
Obama 4
McCain 15

All this talk of schoolyard elections got me thinking about my childhood. I first discovered I was a Democrat in the 3rd grade when I was one of 7 who voted for Jimmy Carter (I think there were more than 100 in my grade - ouch).

I hear a lot about people being proud to be registered Independent instead of belonging to a PARTY and I began questioning whether I'm less intelligent or open-minded by limiting myself to my PARTY. And of course, I decided, NO.

Just because I don't agree with every Democrat or everything they do, doesn't mean I can't join the PARTY and be proud. It doesn't mean I have to vote for every Democrat. It just means the place I find the most of "my people" happens to be there. And I will not hold my nose while I vote or hide behind being undecided. I am Decidedly Democratic.

So, last night I decided to teach the children how to PARTY and took them to the Democratic rally at the state capitol. It was so thrilling to hold signs and cheer for Obama and the other Democrats.
From rally

From rally

I must give proper credit to the calendar gods who so nicely put election day on the heels of Halloween though, because the boys were mostly entertained by their candy.
From rally

But the girls got into the music and the mood. They know how to PARTY.

Today, we've lived up election day - first PARTYing with the playgroup (we also made blankets for wounded soldiers and piggy banks to save change to help the poor) and after we vote, we head into town for a results PARTY.

We're making history, my PARTY and I. And as I face the lines this afternoon to join them, I will remember to PARTY ON!
From rally

3 comments:

Jan said...

Love love this post. What a great memory for you and your kids! We very much enjoyed the election, are VERY glad that it is over and while Obama did not have my vote, he has my support and prayers. I look forward to all the good he can do.

I too wish I could have voted in a few other elections - yes me - poltically naive Jan. Thanks for your friendship!!

Nikki said...

So excited too Mel---We had an Obama party here...my kids have been calling me the Obama Mama for months now! Love your photos!!!!

claire said...

You are super mom for taking your kids the the rally!